riverSedge is a literary journal of culture and literature with an understanding of its place in the nation. Its name reflects our specific river edge with an openness to publish writers who use English, Tex-Mex, and Spanish and who discuss border life while not excluding voices from other areas. The “river’s edge” means many things: the edge of the Americas, divided by the Rio Grande, as well as the cutting edge of creativity in language and genre. riverSedge exists to provide an outlet for writers of excellence in the genres of creative nonfiction, poetry, fiction, scriptwriting, visual art, and critical reviews.
For our upcoming issue, all submissions (except book reviews) will be eligible for contest prizes in three categories: poetry, prose, and art. Here are the full guidelines:
riverSedge General Submissions/Contest Guidelines
- All submissions should be uploaded to riversedge.submittable.com.
- $5 submission fee in all genres (except book reviews).
- 3 prizes of $300 will be awarded in poetry, prose, and art. All entries are eligible for contest prizes. Dramatic scripts and graphic literature will be judged as prose.
- Multiple submissions are welcome in all genres. Each submission should be submitted as a separate entry. In other words, do not send two or more entries as one document.
- Previously unpublished work only. Self-published work (in print and/or on the web) is not eligible.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please notify us of acceptance elsewhere as soon as possible.
- Submissions in English, Spanish and anything in between are welcome.
- Current staff, faculty, and students affiliated with UT-Pan American, UT-Brownsville, or South Texas College are not eligible to submit original work to riverSedge.
- Deadline is March 1, 2015.